Saturday, February 14, 2009

Waste Not, Want Not


Some of our first steps toward simplifying our lifestyle included a re-evaluation of the things we own. We have so much stuff! Some days I feel as if I'm drowning in it. No doubt there are many perfectly good choices for purging the unnecessary items from our home. We have donated, free cycled, swapped, and participated in consignment store selling. But in looking at a variety of ways to become better stewards of our finances, it began to seem less than frugal to give away items we could profit from.
It has now been 3 years since I began selling online. During that time, the money we made back from the items we no longer needed has paid for a new computer, homeschooling books and supplies, supplemented the cost of the children's extracurricular activities, and paid for Christmas and birthday gifts. We do still donate items, especially clothing, as we feel led. But with the economy tightening for everyone, I am convinced that we need to take the opportunity to turn unwanted items into profit. In the long run, it's good for all of us.


1 comment:

  1. as I read your post the quote comes to mind of 'charity begins at home'

    I am not fond of lots of 'stuff' I like the crisp clean lines of sparsley filled shelves and counters so if I get something new then something has to go !

    ReplyDelete