Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Lord Will Provide For Us




You may have heard about the guy who fell off a cliff and on his way down he was able to grab onto a tree branch jutting out from the face of the rock. As he hung there reviewing his options, he started yelling, Is anyone up there? He was surprised to hear a voice say to him, Yes, this is God. The man was greatly relieved, and quickly stuttered, God, can you save me? Of course I can, responded God. The man was really happy now and shouted out, Great! What should I do?The answer from the Almighty was not what he was expecting: Let go of the branch. After a long period of silence, the man replied faintly, Is there anyone else up there?

I'm like that man sometimes. I want God to help me, but don't always want to do what He says. I'm not always willing to let go of the things that God shows me are holding me back. I know that God will provide for my every need -- He has proven that many times and in many ways in my life. And yet, in my flesh, I still sometimes doubt if He will really come through for me. And so I sometimes hold on, and wonder if there is someone else who can help me. How heartbreaking that must be to the Father who gave His ONLY SON for me.
It isn't always intentional on my part. Sometimes I get caught up in all the fuss of notifying friends of my latest crisis, searching for answers on the internet, reading a book about the issue I'm facing, etc. I can wind up in an absolute frenzy over trying to address an issue under my own steam. Using a variety of resources has its place, but for my own well-being I should seek Him first. He is more committed to meeting my needs than anyone. In fact, He promised to meet them.
And so even in striving to live a simpler, more frugal lifestyle -- whether voluntarily or because circumstances have forced one there -- it is appropriate to ask Him for guidance. Really, it's simpler that way...

1 comment:

  1. The worldly pressures keep us busy , its the busy-i-ness that pulls me away form my bible time and praying time and I find myself forgetting.

    Good reminder.

    I do enjoy your blog it calms me for some reason I find myself thinking "oh yeah GOD,talk to God"

    ReplyDelete